Building core competencies across collections, management, technology and more
Empower library staff to further support your diverse community with authoritative eBooks that inform and inspire. We’ve bundled eBooks into collections based on the five overarching competency areas of the Competency Index 2014, compiled by WebJunction and endorsed by the ALA:
- Essential Library Competencies
- Library Collections
- Library Management
- Public Services
Download a complete list of titles for each collection.
Each collection is comprised of eBook titles from leaders like Chandos Publishing, Information Today, Libraries Unlimited, Linworth and Wiley, and delivered through the search-optimized and award-winning GVRL—Gale's nonfiction eBook platform.
GVRL is the perfect platform for delivering professional development resources to library staff. Here’s why:
- Simultaneous Access: In GVRL, there’s no checkouts, any number of users can access the same title at the same time. Rather than purchasing individual copies for each staff member, GVRL allows all staff members to access the materials they need to grow and succeed.
- Self-directed: Staff can access and digest this content in their own time and in their own way.
- The Power of Article-level Indexing + PDFs Combined: If a staff member is looking to learn more about a particular topic, like social media marketing, they can opt to read cover-to-cover, or cross-search to bring back the most relevant chapters and articles from all titles—broadening their scope and giving access to more best practices and perspectives.
- Highlights and Notes: When that ah-ha moment strikes and a staff member reads an excerpt that inspires an actionable idea, they can use homework- and research-friendly tools.
- Flexibility: Just as it can for patrons, GVRL can be accessed by staff anywhere, on any internet-connected device—but articles can also be downloaded for offline reading on their favorite eReader.
For instant access to a two-week free trial, or to request more information, please complete the form below.
And for those interested in a more structured learning environment, try Gale Courses, six-week long, instructor-led online classes which support the development of new skills for staff—from basic business skill enhancement to grant writing (six courses on grant writing!)